All four seasons are typically awesome when you live in a beach-hugging city in Southern California. A Summer in Long Beach though, that's something extra special. Afternoons are often well spent playing in the sand or by the pool. Long bike rides all across town. Ice cream shop hoppin' from Bixby Knolls to Belmont Shore. When there is a moment to breath and have some free time, it is such a refreshing luxury to pick up a good book. No "how-to" kid books here, these are all meant to nurture our brains and hearts without having to worry if you're doing everything right! The below are our most anticipated books for the season (and yes, a few have been on the bookshelves for a while. Blame #MomLife for not getting to them sooner!)
1. If you loved Girls, word on the street is that you must check out Fly Me by Daniel Riley
2. The Book of Joy by the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu for those who enjoy want to dive into something that is uplifting and thought-provoking from two incredible humans.
3. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur ... because you or someone you know has most likely pinned her beautiful words on a board or re-grammed her prose on Instagram. In our opinion, reading from the book feels best.
4. The movie "Arrival" was a 2016 favorite. Did you know it's storyline was based on a series of tales called Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang? You do now.
5. Since the arguments surrounding the merits of science seem so deafening lately, we think its a good idea to check out Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Your brain does enough big thinking throughout the day, so take in the big ideas in easy to digest bites. And you may even impress your kids with your galactic knowledge!
6. Curling up with sticky notes and new cookbooks can be really fun when you have a good option in hand. Check out this stunning new one, Simple Fare: Spring and Summer by Karen Mordechai for your next foodie gathering.